Game console stuff

Talk about and discuss various advancements and achievents in the arts and sciences of invention and modification; computers, sciences, mathematics, and technology for all.
shin_dr

Game console stuff

Post by shin_dr »

There's rumblings of the next Playstation and the next Xbox being officially announced very soon. Several of the rumors have me less than enthused (blocking used games, more activations, lack of backwards compatibility etc.). I'm probably going to get a Wii U sooner rather than later but right now I'm not even close to cobbling enough together for one.

As far as new entries I don't know what to make of the Xi3 Piston "steambox" etc. Ouya does look enticing at $99, but I dunno how much support it will entail.

I've even half-heartedly considered a 360 as I have far more online contacts there.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Re: Game console stuff

Post by AYHJA »

I always poo poo new console releases, but the truth of the matter is that not only will I probably buy the PS4, I'll probably buy more than one...I've had at least 2 of each since I've been into Playstation...

I am not much of a 360 guy, but I do like their technology...I think jumping on the HD DVD bandwagon hurt them, but I could be wrong about that...I like my PS3's versatility, I'll tell anyone that gaming is probably the 2nd or 3rd thing I do on it...That's pretty good for a gaming system...

The Wii makes me tired just looking at it...

The pics that I've seen of the PS4 look amazing, though I don't know how real or accurate they are...

I will say though, I will hold out as long as possible if there isn't backwards compatibility in the PS4...That's bullshit, and the reason I had massive love loss for the ps3...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

IIRC the HD-DVD was an add-on, so nobody got stuck having to replace their drives at least.

I don't know what to make of the camera rumors. Kinect seems to be hit and miss yet it seems like it is a de facto part of the package now. And PS4's "Orbis" is reputedly a new EyeToy.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

I still don't know what to make of the PS4 and backwards compatibility. Supposedly everything will end up on the Playstation Cloud, but it doesn't' recognize saves etc. because the hardware architecture is different. And then just the other day it says Plus will work, but there are rumors it's becoming some sort of multi-tier service.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I think they're going to shit on us Bro, I just got that feeling...We'll know when they start releasing pricing information if that will be the case...I may have to make the switch to XBox, I don't think they're having those kinds of issue there...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

Everybody's trying to get that last dollar, but in practice it means people like me buy later (better deal etc.), buy less, or buy from the competition instead.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I would be down with that. I don't have a Kinect, but it seems to be an amazing piece of hardware. My brother has one, and the games and things that it can do are nothing short of next level...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

More positive about the PS4 at this point, but it's still gonna be a while before I would get one.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Yeah, I think they hurt M$ with the $100 price cut, but I still haven't gotten a decent look at the system or its specs. One thing is for sure, if its not backwards compatible, it will be a no go for me...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links