Dez Bryant didn't know rookie traditions

Discuss your favorite athlete, talk about current sporting news, physical fitness, martial arts, and anything else related to athletics here.
jdog

Dez Bryant didn't know rookie traditions

Post by jdog »

RE: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/ne ... id=5413827

In case anyone hadn't heard of this, apparently in the NFL a rookie is supposed to do stupid things that the veterans ask them. It's sort of a hazing/team building thing.

All veterans scream, "It's tradition!" yet this rookie is saying, "My job is to play football, not haul equipment around."

My opinion? Veterans are giant fucking hypocrites. They all leave their team to go sign monster contracts with other teams and claim, "It's just business," yet a rookie can't say the same thing? It has nothing to do with fostering teamwork and instead can foster animosity towards, well, CO-WORKERS.

When I was in the US Air Force, every time someone got promoted it was hazing/tradition to hit their arms where the stripes were on - it's called "tacking on the stripes" and only someone the same rank as you or higher can do it. SOME people took advantage if they didn't like the person and would punch as hard as they could, leaving nasty swelling and bruising. I actually took offense if someone I didn't like would do that shit to me. I actually had to tell certain people that if they touched my arms then I would hit them in the face. Don't get me wrong, people I liked could tack my stripes on without a problem. But certain asshole NCOs above me that I hated seeing at work every day? No fucking way.

Anyway, back to NFL football, in my opinion Roy Williams hasn't done SHIT with any NFL team. He's a great big TO type ego without TO type talent. He doesn't deserve for anyone to hold his shoulder pads for him. No, I'm not a Cowboys fan either. I just don't like how hypocritical these rich, spoiled athletes have become.

What do the rest of you think?
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Re: Dez Bryant didn't know rookie traditions

Post by Drew »

No one likes the guy who gets all offended or upset when people do things to or ask things of him. He's only a rookie for one year, and it's part of being a rookie in a professional sport. Its tradition in every sport, not just the NFL. The rookies do some grunt work, some foolish shit, and get pranks pulled on them. He didn't ask him to rob a store or something...he asked him to carry his pads. It's far from the worst or most humiliating things I've read rookies have had to do...and it's completely manageable.

Is it his JOB? Of course not. Is he well within his legal rights to refuse? Sure... but by not doing it, all he's doing is isolating himself from his teammates. It's all in good fun, it's part of being a rookie, and it helps to build commadarie. I didn't even have to hear his name to know out of all the rookies in the NFL who would think they're above the stuff rookies do everywhere, it was Dez Bryant. smh

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I am split about this...

I have never been one to be big on human humbling, I think God does that job better than any man can...I understand hazing, and why it happens, but truth be told, the NFL is a business...Where else would that be acceptable..? You take a new job in corporate America, and you have to carry your bosses brief cases..?

NFL men are getting paid big bucks to play a game they've been playing probably all their lives...They should grow up at some point, be professionals...They should get a more unified tradition, like cream pies to the face of baseball players, that does in fact help teammates bond, instead of trying to humiliate them...It's professional football, not a prison yard...

Besides, its Roy Williams, whose biggest contribution to date is the implementation of the horse collar rule...He should carry the pads of all the guys he's wrung down to the ground by the neck, see how it makes him feel...

I say good for Dez, until he starts fucking up on the field...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post by -84 »

Drew wrote:No one likes the guy who gets all offended or upset when people do things to or ask things of him. He's only a rookie for one year, and it's part of being a rookie in a professional sport. Its tradition in every sport, not just the NFL. The rookies do some grunt work, some foolish shit, and get pranks pulled on them. He didn't ask him to rob a store or something...he asked him to carry his pads. It's far from the worst or most humiliating things I've read rookies have had to do...and it's completely manageable.

Is it his JOB? Of course not. Is he well within his legal rights to refuse? Sure... but by not doing it, all he's doing is isolating himself from his teammates. It's all in good fun, it's part of being a rookie, and it helps to build commadarie. I didn't even have to hear his name to know out of all the rookies in the NFL who would think they're above the stuff rookies do everywhere, it was Dez Bryant. smh

Forget that noise.. That mess was childish in high school and still is today. We should always be focused on the winning championships. And not whether some rookie should be hazed. That little kid bully juvenile mess. Grown men acting like kids. All this mess promotes class distinction at its core. If I was a gm I would fine anyone in the organization that mentioned Hazing on my team. I dont want you wasting any of my time or money on this petty crap.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post by -84 »

-84 wrote:
Drew wrote:No one likes the guy who gets all offended or upset when people do things to or ask things of him. He's only a rookie for one year, and it's part of being a rookie in a professional sport. Its tradition in every sport, not just the NFL. The rookies do some grunt work, some foolish shit, and get pranks pulled on them. He didn't ask him to rob a store or something...he asked him to carry his pads. It's far from the worst or most humiliating things I've read rookies have had to do...and it's completely manageable.

Forget that noise.. That mess was childish in high school and still is today. We should always be focused on the winning championships. And not whether some rookie should be hazed. That little kid bully juvenile mess. Grown men acting like kids. All this mess promotes class distinction at its core. If I was a gm I would fine anyone in the organization that mentioned Hazing on my team. I dont want you wasting any of my time or money on this petty crap.
That was the safety broham who now plays for the bengals.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I agree -84...If I were a GM..? Motherfucker, I pay you 3.4 million dollars a season, you should be coming to carry my fucking pads, luggage, or whatever the fuck else...I'm just saying, what has Roy done besides manage to stay in the league, that he can be the one to call Dez out on some shit..?

If this was Jerry Rice, Randy Moss...Dez would probably want to carry his damn pads...I'd be looking at Roy too, like negro please...You don't even fucking play offense...

It is very, very fucking childish, all things considered...Cool for high school...Possibly college...But the Pros..? Shid, I've made it, I'll carry my pads, you carry yours...Shit man, making the team is hard enough, anybody ever seen Hard Knocks..? Shit, making it to the league is hazing enough kids...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

It appears that we are arguing about different things. You two appear to be making a stance against hazing in general, saying its unnecessary and childish.

I'm not trying to take a stance on hazing in general, all I'm saying is, regardless of how you feel about it, it's happening, and it happens everywhere. One of my biggest pet peeves in sports is when rookies come into a league and think they're better than everyone and don't need to listen or don't need to conform to team's policies because they've been the shit everywhere they've been before this level. I want my rookies to join the team quietly and humbly, conform to the team's traditions and policies, and fit in with their teammates to the best of their ability. If carrying a veteran's pads is part of the tradition that rookies undergo, they should just do it. These guys can lift a ton of weight, it's not like it'd hard to do, and to me it's not that humiliating if all the rookies do it regularly. It's not like Dez Bryant is the only dude in the history of the league to get asked to carry pads.

Not to mention, rookies carrying veteran's pads doesn't lose you any money or time as a GM, and I don't even see how it takes away focus from on the field stuff. When the players on are the field, they have their pads, hazing generally happens off the field. What I would be mad about, is a rookie causing a stir on ESPN and the papers because he doesn't want to do something everyone else does.

And now the dude is injured anyway, and even in the injury report that JUST came on sportscenter as I'm typing this, they mentioned how he's already been in the news for creating a stir about pads.

Whether or not hazing is appropriate or childish, or whatever, may be an important conversation to have. But regardless of how you feel about it, the LAST thing I want from a rookie on my team is him creating a media frenzy about something as stupid as carrying pads.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post by -84 »

Drew wrote:It appears that we are arguing about different things. You two appear to be making a stance against hazing in general, saying its unnecessary and childish.

I'm not trying to take a stance on hazing in general, all I'm saying is, regardless of how you feel about it, it's happening, and it happens everywhere. One of my biggest pet peeves in sports is when rookies come into a league and think they're better than everyone and don't need to listen or don't need to conform to team's policies because they've been the shit everywhere they've been before this level. I want my rookies to join the team quietly and humbly, conform to the team's traditions and policies, and fit in with their teammates to the best of their ability. If carrying a veteran's pads is part of the tradition that rookies undergo, they should just do it. These guys can lift a ton of weight, it's not like it'd hard to do, and to me it's not that humiliating if all the rookies do it regularly. It's not like Dez Bryant is the only dude in the history of the league to get asked to carry pads.

Not to mention, rookies carrying veteran's pads doesn't lose you any money or time as a GM, and I don't even see how it takes away focus from on the field stuff. When the players on are the field, they have their pads, hazing generally happens off the field. What I would be mad about, is a rookie causing a stir on ESPN and the papers because he doesn't want to do something everyone else does.

And now the dude is injured anyway, and even in the injury report that JUST came on sportscenter as I'm typing this, they mentioned how he's already been in the news for creating a stir about pads.

Whether or not hazing is appropriate or childish, or whatever, may be an important conversation to have. But regardless of how you feel about it, the LAST thing I want from a rookie on my team is him creating a media frenzy about something as stupid as carrying pads.

What the media says don't mean crap to me. I could care less what the media. This is the same media that will glorify you as Jesus one day and want to crucify you the next.

Remember how childish the media got with Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson.
"Hey lets ban Jessica from games cause Tony is paying to much attention to her in the stands and can win."

Really thats the type of logic we are dealing with today. Not dudes trying to report about facts but dudes trying to be the next Perez Hilton on blog sites.

Drew there is nothing you will ever say that will tolerate hazing at any professional level.

Would you be cool if someone was hazing your daughter?

That mess is not cool.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

What in the world does someone hazing my daughter have to do with the hazing of rookies by veterans on professional sports teams?

And since when I have been trying to "tolerate hazing"? I'm saying, in this instance, I think Dez Bryant's actions were wrong.

I'm talking about a veteran having a rookie carry his pads...you seem to be inferring in some way that hazing is analogous to rape or something. It's not that big of a deal. If my daughter is an athlete on a level where she'd be a rookie or a freshman on a professional or varsity team, and she had to carry someone's pads one time, I wouldn't be bothered by it, because that's normal in sports. I'm not saying all hazing is okay. There are plenty things that go beyond hazing and become violations and shit that is done just to harm someone else. The dude was asked to carry pads.

This isn't some glorified action that represents a greater stand by all players against the injustices that hazing has caused athletes all over the world. It's just Dez Bryant thinking he's too important and good to do anyone tells him. It's just someone making noise and isolating himself from his teammates.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post by -84 »

Man you reading into this mess. You falling into that espn media hype. Nowhere have I heard dez anything close to being egocentric. This is just needless propaganda by espn over non issues when we should be talking rookies learning playbooks to help us when championships. Not talking about hazing. :|
Last edited by -84 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links