Dez Bryant didn't know rookie traditions

Discuss your favorite athlete, talk about current sporting news, physical fitness, martial arts, and anything else related to athletics here.
jdog

Re: Dez Bryant didn't know rookie traditions

Post by jdog »

Über wrote:Yeah, I don't know about more than Asomugha, but he certainly deserves as much...I mean, the word is out on him, I don't think he'll see many balls thrown his way either this season...

I'm not a big fan of holding out, but shid...Can't say that I blame Revis on this one...He's proved his mettle on the highest level, the pay should be as such...Plus, when you consider that there are scrubs in the NBA making more money than dude...And the NFL making twice as much revenue as the NBA, it doesn't make a lot of sense for there to be penny pinching on a team where that if it wasn't for the defense, and the most important player on that defense, would be a 4-12 team...
Then that's when you play out your contract and then leave. He'd get a huge payday with another team and wouldn't be stuck on the sorry Jets.
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

Again...that's an unrealistic and naive perspective to hold in a league that doesn't care about its players.

These dudes don't have years and years and years on top.... who knows if he'll even make it to the end of this contract? All it takes is one weird step or wrong move and dude is injured and out of the league. Get your money now, when you can.

And I don't really know why you're blowing Asomugha.... that stat isn't really that impressive. No one throws to his guy because they can throw easily to everyone else on the field and score touchdowns. Stats always get impressive when you're on a shitty team. Being the best guy on a shitty defense is worse than being the best guy on a solid, even great, defense.

Like for real, what reason do you have for saying that Revis will "NEVER be better than Asomugha" ? I surely hope its not that reception stat.

And I also don't get what kind of case you're making for why Asomugha is better for not holding out? He had a good couple of years and got massively overpaid. Revis (who I think is better) had a couple of good years...and isn't getting paid...so he's holding out to get paid.

Asomugha didn't have to hold out because Al Davis's corpse threw him the money before he had to ask for it. There's no shame or dishonor in asking for money when you clearly deserve it and your competition is getting it...and there's no shame in knowing your worth to your team and holding out until you get fairly compensated.

Football is the only sport where I'm willing to make this argument, just because of how much money the league brings in, how much they get from/require of their athletes, and how little they care/protect them. If someone was holding out in basketball or baseball, I'd take issue with it....but not in the NFL. That's why I said originally that I think your beef is with the fucked up NFL salary system (particularly the rookie salary garbage) and not hold outs or Revis. The system is what causes this stuff to happen.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Drew wrote:These dudes don't have years and years and years on top.... who knows if he'll even make it to the end of this contract? All it takes is one weird step or wrong move and dude is injured and out of the league. Get your money now, when you can.
Couldn't have said it better myself...When you consider that getting hit by an NFL player, or hitting an NFL player, is akin to a getting hit by a car going 20+ MPH, in the words of Henry Hill, ''Fuck you, pay me..." cdr...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Drew wrote:Again...that's an unrealistic and naive perspective to hold in a league that doesn't care about its players.

These dudes don't have years and years and years on top.... who knows if he'll even make it to the end of this contract? All it takes is one weird step or wrong move and dude is injured and out of the league. Get your money now, when you can.
You could say that about everyone in the NFL. So the NFL should pay them $15 million per season?

It's very rare that players get career ending injuries. Most of them could easily move on to broadcasting anyway. So it's not like money will never be flowing. I know not every player is going to be a Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith when it comes to endurance but because of THAT it means that not every player should be paid like Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith deserved.

Heck, I'll point out Glen Coffee of the 49ers. The guy played 1 year and just up and QUIT. He retired. Then you have so many rookies that come out and are busts. Alex Smith signed a $50 million contract as a rookie and 1st overall pick. He sure hasn't earned that type of contract.

Also, not sure what you mean about a league that doesn't care about it's players. The players have a union called the NFLPA. That gives them guaranteed money if they get injured, retire, etc.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

jdog wrote:
Drew wrote:Again...that's an unrealistic and naive perspective to hold in a league that doesn't care about its players.

You could say that about everyone in the NFL. So the NFL should pay them $15 million per season?
No....you can't say that everyone in the NFL is the top or best guy at their position. We're talking about Revis. He is either the best bar none...or equal with one other player as the best. The other player has a massive contract. He has a small contract. He deserves to get paid just as much as the other guy. No where am I making a statement about average players, scrubs, rookies, anything besides the guys who are the best at their position, or close to it...and are getting underpaid when compared to those other guys.

jdog wrote:It's very rare that players get career ending injuries. Most of them could easily move on to broadcasting anyway. So it's not like money will never be flowing. I know not every player is going to be a Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith when it comes to endurance but because of THAT it means that not every player should be paid like Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith deserved.
Again, I don't know where you're coming from with the idea that I'm saying everyone in the NFL deserves loads of money. The best players at each position should be making similiar amount of money to the other best guys in the same position. If they are not being fairly compensated...they have a right to hold out to get more money. This happens in every walk of life, not just professional sports.

That doesn't mean every player should get as much as the top guy...no one said that. Revis is unarguably one of the top two corners in the NFL right now...he should be getting paid like it...particularly in a sport where it can all go away so quickly.

Also, considering you're talking about all players...I don't know how you can actually say that they all will go to broadcasting or will continue making money. There are hundreds and hundreds of rags to riches and riches back to rags stories with professional athletes. Once your talent goes...most of these guys don't have a whole lot of other ways to make money. Which adds even more fuel to the fire of the importance of being fairly compensated while you can still make a difference on the field.
jdog wrote:Heck, I'll point out Glen Coffee of the 49ers. The guy played 1 year and just up and QUIT. He retired. Then you have so many rookies that come out and are busts. Alex Smith signed a $50 million contract as a rookie and 1st overall pick. He sure hasn't earned that type of contract.
So...for the millionth time, I'll point out that it's obvious your problem isn't with Revis...but with the NFL's rookie contract system. Are you willing to admit that yet?
jdog wrote:Also, not sure what you mean about a league that doesn't care about it's players. The players have a union called the NFLPA. That gives them guaranteed money if they get injured, retire, etc.
A union is all it takes to prove you care? These are young, impressionable young men who are getting paid less than most other professional athletes to take a much worse beating in a league that makes much more money. Almost all of these players are looked at as replacable commodities. No one cares about them the second they can't play for them...regarldess of whether or not they're cutting them a small check every month.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Drew wrote:So...for the millionth time, I'll point out that it's obvious your problem isn't with Revis...but with the NFL's rookie contract system. Are you willing to admit that yet?
Everyone has a problem with that.

My problem is with a player that SIGNS a contract and doesn't stick to it.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

In all fairness j, there is no such thing as a guaranteed contract in the NFL...So, that works both ways...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links