NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

Discuss your favorite athlete, talk about current sporting news, physical fitness, martial arts, and anything else related to athletics here.
jdog

NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

Post by jdog »

RE: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

Code: Select all

NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowledged he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

"It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly," Leavy said of the game in February 2006. "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."
I think this is a slap in the face to the 2006 Steelers football team. If another team commits a penalty then it should be called, regardless of whether it takes away a first down or a touchdown. The Steelers earned that Super Bowl and for a ref of all people to claim that their play calling affected the outcome? Who do they think they are? The only person on the field at the time?

I think Bill Leavy should give a formal apology to the Steelers team and retire from his job.
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
¡ñ±£¿®∆L Ф¶†ïς@п
Resident Cryptologist

Re: NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

Post by ¡ñ±£¿®∆L Ф¶†ïς@п »

Those last 2 minutes in the 2008 season Super Bowl (in 2009) were a bad string of non-calls, and blown calls.

Sure, Roeth threw it Homles, he caught it, but from what I distinctly remember, he only had one foot in, while the just appeared to nick the line, before he was pushed out. I admit, the Cards' DBs were not the best at their position over the course of the season, and they were only marginally better in the post, yet how three of them allowed that ball to even get to the receiver's hands, I can't comprehend. The one thing I thought could have at least gone right was that the second "nicked toe-tap" would have shown he was outside the bounds of play.

Following, there was an unsportsmanlike conduct call (on the part of showboating ; using ball as a prop) that was overlooked,
then another unsportsman (on the part of the Steelers' defense ; hitting a man while down, play was over) just not even attempted to review by the officials,
and in all, those last few ticks of the clock in that Super Bowl shows just how much the referees wanted to make it about themselves.

(I really thought I could have been treated to seeing that SB end at the last possible second, finally tally: 29-28 - Cardinals.)

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

jdog are you serious? This just looks like you ranting to rant, without a real purpose or reason behind it.

Did you even read the article/watch the game/highlights? The one holding call was a legit call (which apparently is the only call you think is worthy of discussing) The low block on the other hand was definitely not a legit call. MH goes low for a tackle on the guy that picked off the ball, and gets called basically for an illegal block. It was a bullshit call, and it moved the ball from the 29 to the 44. How can you say that doesn't affect the game? You don't think being given an extra 15 yards changes the game?

He isn't saying the Steelers didn't deserve it, he isn't saying because of him the Seahawks lost...he is saying a blown call affected the game, how is that anything but the complete truth? And it almost sounds like you're trying to make a case that refs don't affect games at all...it's like you're personally offended that this ref is admitting he made a mistake that affected the game, because there's no way a ref can.... do you watch any sport? Unfortunately, in most sports, the refs have the power to completely fuck up any game at any time. And in a football game, a free 15 yard penalty definitely falls in that category.

And I'm not entirely sure that your idea that this slaps the steelers in the face is even remotely realistic either...the ref made a bad call and is owning up to it and apologizing for it. Why does he need to apologize to the Steelers and retire? How does this even effect the Steelers? Why would anyone in the entire organization even care about this? They have their rings, no one is saying they don't deserve it....so what's your beef?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
¡ñ±£¿®∆L Ф¶†ïς@п
Resident Cryptologist

The real question I have after this revelation is:

Post by ¡ñ±£¿®∆L Ф¶†ïς@п »

Was Matt Hasselbeck just one official's whistle away from becoming a Super-Bowl-winning Quarterback?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Drew wrote:jdog are you serious? This just looks like you ranting to rant, without a real purpose or reason behind it.

Did you even read the article/watch the game/highlights? The one holding call was a legit call (which apparently is the only call you think is worthy of discussing) The low block on the other hand was definitely not a legit call. MH goes low for a tackle on the guy that picked off the ball, and gets called basically for an illegal block. It was a bullshit call, and it moved the ball from the 29 to the 44. How can you say that doesn't affect the game? You don't think being given an extra 15 yards changes the game?

He isn't saying the Steelers didn't deserve it, he isn't saying because of him the Seahawks lost...he is saying a blown call affected the game, how is that anything but the complete truth? And it almost sounds like you're trying to make a case that refs don't affect games at all...it's like you're personally offended that this ref is admitting he made a mistake that affected the game, because there's no way a ref can.... do you watch any sport? Unfortunately, in most sports, the refs have the power to completely fuck up any game at any time. And in a football game, a free 15 yard penalty definitely falls in that category.

And I'm not entirely sure that your idea that this slaps the steelers in the face is even remotely realistic either...the ref made a bad call and is owning up to it and apologizing for it. Why does he need to apologize to the Steelers and retire? How does this even effect the Steelers? Why would anyone in the entire organization even care about this? They have their rings, no one is saying they don't deserve it....so what's your beef?
I"m a 49ers fan so I am not biased in this matter.

I've watched hundreds of football games over the years. I've seen plenty of non-calls or bad calls. It happens.

Am I personally offended? No, but it is a very stupid thing for a ref to say when he's still employed as a NFL referee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=5447132
Steelers tackle Max Starks offered some advice to Leavy.

"He should go ahead and retire if he feels so bad about it," Starks said Saturday, according to the McKeesport (Pa.) Daily News. "Just do us all a favor and not referee anymore."

Steelers linebacker James Farrior was surprised to hear about Leavy's apology.

"We won a whole other Super Bowl after that, and they are still talking about the first one," he said according to the McKeesport (Pa.) Daily News.
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links