USC to return Bush’s Heisman

Discuss your favorite athlete, talk about current sporting news, physical fitness, martial arts, and anything else related to athletics here.
jdog

Re: USC to return Bush’s Heisman

Post by jdog »

Funny to see Troy Smith cut by the Ravens. It's pretty bad if you can't even make it as QB for that team.
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Sad news...Bush decided to return the Heisman himself: http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/ ... index.html

Goes to show that sports agents don't really give a shit about athletes.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Even still:

From December 2004, the sports agents, who were hoping to represent Bush in the NFL draft, allegedly paid for hotel rooms, rent on a home where Bush's family lived and a limousine ride to accept the Heisman in December 2005.

I just think that's a ridiculous reason to punish a generation of kids. Seems to undermine all the things the NCAA stands for...I just think there are other things they would better be served doing than hawking students for getting a little piece of action...These schools and the NCAA as a whole are making billions of dollars of these kids...Relatively speaking things like this shouldn't even matter...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

And not to bring up old shit, but check this out:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... index.html

I'm not the only one that saw a correlation between this and other Heisman winners...

"It doesn't matter if he gives it back. Everyone still knows Reggie Bush was the best player that year. Look at the runs. He was clearly the best player. O.J. Simpson got accused of a murder and they didn't take his back. That was a far greater allegation, and they didn't find O.J. guilty on that."

-- Johnny Rodgers, 1972 Heisman winner from Nebraska

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Have to laugh at the OJ Simpson thing. That has nothing to do with NCAA rules violations. He was long out of college and even his NFL career when that happened.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

If the only correlation you can make, or think that's being made with that is the fact that there was an NCAA violation and nothing more, then yes, that would be funny...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

I still don't see how OJ Simpson comes into this?

What he did has nothing to do with his NCAA playing days or the season he won the Heisman. It all came way after that, why should he even be brought up?

They aren't taking Bush's away because he's a bad dude, they're doing it because he broke NCAA rules, and part of winning the Heisman says that you have to be playing in accordance with the NCAA rules or you can't be eligible to win. He broke them the year he won, so he isn't eligible to win.

Of course I think the Heisman is a stupid political award anyway, but it doesn't change what they should have done, in regards to Bush himself, in my opinion. Whether or not they should punish USC is a more interesting question.

Besides... VY was better that year anyway.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I hate to answer a question with a question, but again...If you're asking why its relevant, then you must also ask the question of what does any of this have to do with what RB did on the field...What does an agent paying for his parents a rental house, or plane tickets to the trophy ceremony, have to do with his ability to run away from a defender..?

The NCAA is full of shit, that's the point I'm trying to make...

If they're gonna do this, what reasoning do they have for making this absolutely ridiculous statement..? A vacant Heisman..? WTF..? All they gonna do is put an asterisk by the year...Everybody knows that Reggie won it...

AJ Green sold HIS Jersey...Got hit with a 4 Game suspension...

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... -a-j-green

It's just unsettling to me, again, that the NCAA can be so self righteous when they're absolutely raping these student athletes for all they're worth, and then punishing programs for wrongs committed by individuals that have long since left...They know these kids are under tremendous pressure, they should put themselves in a position to hold those ultimately responsible for these allegations, these agents, and let that be their focus...If I were to see the NCAA trying to get some legislation passed to make it unlawful for agents to do this to kids, then we put a dent in the issue...That's saying, ''Hey, we care about our kids," not just some BS about a ridiculous award...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

The funny thing is that the Heisman Trophy Trust (who awards the trophy) has NOTHING to do with the NCAA.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links