Why you should love $5 gas

Topics and discussion geared towards lifestyle, personal finance/economics, and consumer affairs.

Post by 5829 »

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/ ... dabfac3518

Stop grousing about the numbers at the pump. All of this could be good for you and good for America.
By doubleace on Tue, Apr 19, 2011 7:58 AM

This post comes from Lynn Mucken at MSN Money.

As you pump 13 gallons into your Honda CR-V -- American's best-selling SUV with 28 MPG on the highway and 21 in town -- it's nearly impossible to view the $50 you're spending with a positive attitude.

With the national average at $3.87, it's easy to label oil executives as pond scum, but try to remain open-minded. Think of the big picture: While that promised road trip to Disney World just went up in carbon monoxide, $5 gasoline may actually have an upside if it arrives this summer, as some experts predict. Not for you and your family personally, maybe, but perhaps for the United States as a whole.

Some possible benefits (and we're serious about most of them):

Fewer people will die on the road. The less you drive, the more likely you will survive, if the events of 2008, the year of the most recent gas price surge, are correct. In 2007, 30,527 died in automobile (including truck) accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2008, that number dropped 12%, to 26,791.

This mainly was attributed to a decrease in highway speed. Also contributing was a 2% drop in miles driven, from 3.03 trillion to 2.97 trillion, despite a 1.7% increase in the number of registered vehicles. On the negative side, with many turning to more economical modes of transportation, motorcycle deaths rose 2.6% in 2008 and bicycle deaths 1%.

Demand for high-mileage cars may grow. The key word here is "may." Hybrid sales rose quickly in 2007 as gas prices climbed, then dropped noticeably in the second half of 2008 as gas prices plummeted from over $4 to $1.60. This time around, despite gas prices climbing steadily over the past year, hybrid cars shrunk from 2.9% of new vehicle sales in 2009 to 2.4% in 2010, according to Ward's Auto. Meanwhile, sales of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and minivans rose from 48% of the market to 51% from 2009 to 2010. In addition, the average fuel economy rating of new vehicles sold in 2010 was 22.2 mpg, down from 22.3 mpg in 2009.
Calculator: How much vehicle can you afford?

Which proves, of course, that Americans love their big vehicles. It could turn out to be different this time around. For one thing, there will be far more gas-efficient options available, plus all-electrics like the Chevrolet Volt and the soon-to-be-launched Ford Focus Electric. And for another, if those $5 doomsayers are right, the biggest hit on the credit card is yet to come.

Shorter security lines. Airlines fares are extremely fuel-price reactive. Soon, hardly anyone will be able to afford to fly willy-nilly around the country or globe. You will breeze through the maze of airport checkpoints.

Less pollution. Less driving means cleaner air. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "pollution from vehicles causes two of our worst air pollution problems, smog and carbon monoxide." There are no solid figures on how many Americans die annually from car-produced pollution, but a 2008 study by Great Britain's University of Birmingham linked pneumonia deaths to pollution from motor vehicles.

Less congestion. Ever notice how well rush-hour freeway traffic flows on the minor holidays when most of the rest of us are working? A 2% drop in miles driven can make a big difference, allowing you to drive faster, although you now won't want to. According to the Department of Energy, on average every 5 mph you drive over 60 is like paying an extra 24 cents per gallon (based on a $3.79 price).
How do your finances stack up?

High prices lead to lower prices. Mackubin Thomas Owens, a professor of national security affairs at the Naval War College and editor of Orbis, the journal of the Foreign Policy Research Institute, theorizes that if gas prices rise enough, the government will open up areas now closed to oil production, and oil companies will be able to invest in more-expensive methods of extracting oil. Soon we will be drowning in the stuff, and prices will drop again.
Calculator: Is your budget in balance?

More exercise. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development estimates that by 2020, three out of four Americans will be categorized as overweight or obese. So, it can't hurt to walk the three blocks to the grocery or bike to school or work.

"When gas hits $4 a gallon, a lot of people come in looking for options," said Tim Blumenthal, the president of Bikes Belong Coalition. "Bike commuting jumped 44% between 2000 and 2010, with a big part of that in 2008. Still, more than half of all bike trips are three miles or less, so we're seeing racks and baskets (sold) for those who have multiple stops to make on the way home."
MSN Autos: Find the cheapest gas near you

End of wars. According to National Defense Magazine, the cost of "in theater" gasoline to our troops in Afghanistan can range from $100 to $600. The Army estimated fuel can cost up to $400 a gallon if the only way to ship it is via helicopters. (Black Hawk helicopters get 0.74 mpg, while F15-E strike fighters get 0.41 mpg.) And that was last year's prices. Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya might get too expensive for America's taste.

Local businesses may profit. If you can't afford to drive out to the Wal-Mart or The Home Depot, you may be buying instead at the local supermarket or neighborhood hardware store. In addition, as the cost of transporting, say, grapes from Chile, goes out of sight, you may turn to regional farmers for your produce.

It's all about democracy. If we let up on the gas pedal, we'll starve those oil-rich despots out of existence. Oh, we import as much from Canada as from Saudi Arabia and Venezuela combined.
Nudes are played out.
Send me a video of you reading out loud so I know you are not dumb and your profile picture is actually you.

Free Rice - feed the world - play for free
National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-7233
National Rape, Sexual Assault Hotline - 1-800-656-4673
Love Is Respect - 1-866-331-9474

~~~ accept everything - Believe Whatever - TRUST NOTHING ~~~~

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Never tell all you know...

Disclaimer: The opinions are my own. Nobody else wants them.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Re: Why you should love $5 gas

Post by AYHJA »

The more money I have to spend on gas, the less money I have to spend on other things...Sure, you may drive less or think about driving more, but I don't think there is ever a positive to having prices go up 2 or 3 times what people are used to...People who drove everywhere before are still driving, just cutting corners elsewhere I bet...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
darklighter1

Post by darklighter1 »

Über wrote:The more money I have to spend on gas, the less money I have to spend on other things...Sure, you may drive less or think about driving more, but I don't think there is ever a positive to having prices go up 2 or 3 times what people are used to...People who drove everywhere before are still driving, just cutting corners elsewhere I bet...
Hallelu(jah)!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Über wrote:The more money I have to spend on gas, the less money I have to spend on other things...Sure, you may drive less or think about driving more, but I don't think there is ever a positive to having prices go up 2 or 3 times what people are used to...People who drove everywhere before are still driving, just cutting corners elsewhere I bet...
And when people stop buying OTHER things besides gas that causes the economy to suffer. Then people end up losing jobs. Then people spend less money just in case they are on the bubble for losing a job. Then more people lose jobs. Recycle the recession we just had (and IMO still aren't out of).
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links