[Tutorial] TroubleShooting Codec Problems

Tutorials and how-to's.

No votes

Total votes: 0

emanon

[Tutorial] TroubleShooting Codec Problems

Post by emanon »

If you are having trouble with playing back video clips you have downloaded from the internet, chances are it is due to a codec problem. Think of Codecs as little subprograms or filters that work with your video playback software to decode or decompress the information in a video file to the moving images and sounds you see displayed on your screen. If you do not have the codec that was used to create the video file, your PC will try to make do with the codecs you do have but often times the results are less than ideal.

For starters, head to Codec Information Appliance Homepage and download a copy of the free program G-Spot. This program will inspect the codecs installed on your machine and will permit you to manipulate these codecs in ways that it would be impossible to do without this program. Yoou can re-register, uninstall, and even set priority levels for the installed codecs. It will also point out missing or broken codec information and help you rectify these inconsistencies. Another feature of the program is you can open a video file with it and it will analyze that video file and tell you what codecs you need in order to play or view that file. If it uncovers a problem, a simple Google search will generate several remedies or places to download the missing codec.

Most playback codecs are free downloads so it is very easy to get your video files to playback without distortion or errors.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
deepdiver32073
Iconoclast Extraordinaire

Post by deepdiver32073 »

Wow! Awesome post emanon. I've had occasional problems with codecs in the past, always knew what the problem was, but didn't always know how to fix it. This program sounds very cool!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
WAY
Site Admin

Post by WAY »

Thanks emanon, this looks real handy for what I'm doing at the moment..

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks! My Windows Media Player reckons that it is the latest version, but I reckon it's full o' shit!

Hopefully it will also fix my Quicktime Player, every other movie works but the Playboy 'Topless Joke of the Day' vids......

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
emanon

Post by emanon »

ditching windows media player in favor of something like the open source and free Media Player Classic available on SourceForge would be a good 1st step also!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
WAY
Site Admin

Post by WAY »

Like my lovely VLC player..? Good ol' open source.. /:D" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt=":D" />

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
emanon

Post by emanon »

another fine choice!

have .rm or .mov support been implemented in the recent release of 0.8.4 do you know?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
WAY
Site Admin

Post by WAY »

No RealMedia support yet, but I'm pretty sure they got .mov to work, let me check..
[edit]MP4/MOV/3gpp support is Complete and tested on all operating systems[/edit]

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
emanon

Post by emanon »

coolio....vlc, like media player classic allows infinitely more control over codecs and other playback settings which make it so much more versatile than WMP. I hope that with all the DRM bs going on that open source players like these do not become obsolete because they are unable to play DRM protected material.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
red5llaw

Post by red5llaw »

Thanx Emanon,
I'll give it try, I've been plagued by Codec problems for freakin' ages!

good work bud!

THE Master Baiter

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links