[Tutorial] How to make Irfanview work in Fedora Linux

Tutorials and how-to's.
AYHJA

[Tutorial] How to make Irfanview work in Fedora Linux

Post by AYHJA »

As a new Linux user, I must admit I still have an affinity for some of my Windows programs...One of those programs is Irfanview...Why there isn't a native version that runs on Linux is beyond me, it seems like a simple enough port...However, where there's a will there's a way in Linux, so here is as simple a tutorial as I can make to show how to BEST get Irfanview to work in Linux using Nautilus...

First off, for all its perceived low points, I love using Fedora 15 (Lovelock)...The first thing that you're going to need is Wine, which is a windows emulator that runs in Linux...

Step 1

Install Wine
http://www.winehq.org/

Step 2

Grab a portable version of Irfanview.

At the time of this writing, the latest version of Irfanview is 4.30...For ease of use, I have uploaded a copy that includes everything you need, including the plugin pack...All you need to do is extract the archive and copy the IrfanView folder into your Wine Program files directory, which is usually hidden in your home folder, eg:

/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

Download from Uberserver: http://www.uberserver.org/software/AYHJ ... ew-430x.7z
8.1 MB | 7z | MD5: 790f4d6937c007f96490dd30a1b69207

If you want, you can also grab your own copy from http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Step 3

Create an execution script

You will need to make a shell script to make IrfanView execute...To do that, open your text editor in Linux, copy and paste this text into a file, and name it...Something like Irfanview.sh is fine...You can put it where you want, but I have a scripts folder in my home folder, so that's where I put mine...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
File="z:"${1//\//\\}
wine "/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView/i_view32.exe" $File
Naturally, you will need to replace the word 'user' with your login name...Also, this assumes you have your Wine directory in the default location...If you have it somewhere else, adjust accordingly...

Step 4

Install in Nautilus

Nautilus is the default, though I have the other desktop environments installed as well...There is a tool to do what we need to do called 'Nautilus-Actions Configuration Tool'...Open it up, and follow the screens..!

Action Screen:

Command Screen:

Basically, all you do is point Nautilus to your script, and leave the other tabs as they are...That's it..! If you right click on an image, you will see a Nautilus Actions Menu with IrfanView there...Nice..! Also, as a pointer, if you want to remove the submenu and just have it displayed in the context, go to preferences in your Nautilus tool and uncheck 'Create a root' option...

Enjoy..!
ImageImage
Image Image

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
amicable

Re: [Tutorial] How to make Irfanview work in Fedora Linux

Post by amicable »

Who is using Fedora as primary OS currently?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Re: [Tutorial] How to make Irfanview work in Fedora Linux

Post by AYHJA »

Me, or well, I'm trying to...So far so good, but I did have to go ahead and install Windows 7 in a dual boot so that I can use Office and things like that if need be...But I'm pretty much a convert at this point...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links