ELE: The Walking Dead

A school of music that studies the rhythm of nature, a school of fashion that studies the elegance of the Universe, a school of design that studies the architecture of the ancients, a school of philosophy that studies the time-tested Truth.
AYHJA

ELE: The Walking Dead

Post by AYHJA »

So, I'm sure all of you have seen the show. I've decided to start a few ELE (Extinction Level Event) topics to see if we can offer up some discussion, whichever direction it might go...

In regards to The Walking Dead, if you haven't seen it, here's a synopsis as far as I can tell without offering up spoilers to those who aren't up to date...Basically, there has been some sort of disease or virus unleashed upon the world. This virus infected everyone, though not the same. Some people got a high fever among other symptoms, and then died...And then came back to life, with the steam to eat living flesh...Everyone is infected...When you die, you come back...

This show leaves plot holes on purpose, just so that people like me can't do what I want to do, which is speculate on the likelihood of something like that happening...Whatever happened, happened quickly...There was a rash decision to contain, containment failed...Bring on the apocalypse...

Now...In this scenario, I'm not sure how people keep getting killed by the zombies...OK, well I know how they keep getting killed, a TV show has to be produced...But these zombies move very, very slowly...Usually...If they get something hot and moving in front of them, they can move a bit faster...But...To say "jog" would be a stretch...They can be killed fairly easily, as something about the fever makes their heads soft, which is pretty much the only way to inanimate them...They are also not very smart...They're easily avoided...

The few strengths they have come from their numbers and downright hardcore ability to keep coming save anything except a head shot...They also seem to have some sort of stealth when they're hungry...They don't often announce themselves, people don't hear them walking, or groaning very often...

These are not Legend's zombies...These are of the run of the mill, Thriller variety minus the funky moves...

For me, survival depends on adaptation and supplies...Here's how I would survive The Walking Dead...Feel free to add your own or debate..!

1. Get intricate, get high...

Being able to scout the zombies is paramount. I'd be somewhere, preferably in a natural environment, where I could see all around my camp, 360 degrees...The Zombies don't have problem solving skills, something as simple as climbing a ladder works as a serious deterrent for them...They also can't swim...Obviously living on an island is ideal, but I digress...

2. Get in shape...

Rather than piss and moan about your situation get fit..! At this point, supplies are scattered, but available...No job, no bills, no credit score...Your job becomes survival...Get strong..!

3. Get a pet...(Spoilers)

This should be number 1, which would make all the other things possible, or certainly easier. But it's a bit of a spoiler...
Spoiler:
We learn in about Season 3 of the show that a character figures out a couple of key things about the zombies...They don't have a heightened sense of smell...The character keeps a couple of zombies on a leash...By cutting off their arms and removing their bottom jaw, the zombies are completely docile...When the zombies see you walking with other zombies, they walk right past you...The character literally walks side by side with packs of zombies and they don't pay any attention...Two zombies will apparently mask your "alive" scent...
4. Build a shower...

I would be a zombie killing machine...I would be in shape...But my fatal flaw would be that after about 48 hours or so, I would absolutely have to have a shower...It's the apocalypse...Electricity is scarce...We live in a world dependent on fossil fuels...My character on the show would probably die trying to get somewhere to shower...The longer I go without a shower, the weaker I get...

5. Secure supplies...

Goes without saying...But if the world's population was suddenly depleted by 90%...I'm sure there is enough water and food to last for a very long time until we learn farming all over again...Not just the stores, but the highways of people trying to get out, homes...Supplies would be everywhere...Part of my daily would be to take my pets and head out to find supplies... No way I don't have a stash of gold and jewels among them...Read on...

6. Don't use cars....

They burn too much fuel...Get some really great ATV's, get trailers...Be able to move and get moving quickly, without having to worry so much about terrain...No weather issues...Easy to carry spare fuel...Quick...In a world overrun by zombies and lawless behavior, I want to move quickly...In and out...No cars...

7. Silencers...

The zombies are attracted to noise...The fact that I'm in the middle of season 2 and haven't seen someone use a silencer is beyond me...You can't throw a rock in Georgia (where the show is based) without hitting a gun store...Shit, you can make a homemade silencer if you want...With no internets though, you may have to read a book to find out...Imagine that...But again, they're attracted to noise...Flares, firecrackers...Nobody uses these things to move the zombies in one direction while they go in another...I have yet to see the zombies adapt, although the virus or whatever does seem to be doing that in later episodes...

8. Plans...

People find themselves in the same situation over and over...Walkers sneak up on you, and it's fucking pandemonium...At some point, we have to discuss this shit...What to do when you come across one of the 3 walker scenarios that presents a problem...By themselves, in closed quarters, and in "herds"...Even if they don't work, as long as people aren't freaking out when they come across zombies, as long as they feel they have some training, they'll be less likely to panic and thus fuck it up for everyone else...

9. Out with the old, in with the old...

Whatever flaws it may have, you're going to need a government...People crave it, need it...Build a small form of government, develop rules, and get people to enforce them...Monarchy, Democracy, dictatorship, whatevs...If you've followed steps 1-8 and figured this out before everyone else, you'll be the newly elected King/Queen in no time...Other people will find your camp, have rules and system in place to encourage them to get their own shit or force them to adapt into your system...Collect skill sets, organize them...Utilize them...Put them to work...

10. Less is more...

If your system is concise, numbers don't matter...4 people per ATV...2 Onboard, 2 in the trailer to guard the supplies...As you pick up other nomads, keep the system...If you can't, keep going...The system keeps shit tight...We know who we can feed, how much we eat...What we eat, etc...All fat people are immediately put on a diet and or fed to the zombies...

Your thoughts..?
ImageImage
Image Image

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links