Live Video Feed of the BP Oil Leak

News, politics, economy, local and global information, geography, life, living, and travel forum.

Live Video Feed of the BP Oil Leak

Post by 5829 »

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/201 ... llcam.html

(can't embed - click on the link above)

Live from the Ocean Floor: New Oil Leak Widget Features 'Spillcam'

By: Hari Sreenivasan

BP's live video stream of oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico is simultaneously tragic and hypnotic. With each passing second, more gallons of crude oil and natural gas escape into the ocean.

Until Thursday, BP and NOAA had stood by their early estimate -- produced April 29, a week after the Deepwater Horizon rig sank -- that about 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) were leaking per day from the damaged well, although they had acknowledged that the estimate was not precise.

And after the world first witnessed the 30-second video clip that BP released on May 12, scientists began to wonder more loudly how the estimate could be that low.

Now, thanks in part to congressional pressure, we have a way to watch the environmental crisis unfold in real time via a live video feed. We modified our original Gulf Leak Meter because the video takes our sliding scale out of the abstract and into reality.
Nudes are played out.
Send me a video of you reading out loud so I know you are not dumb and your profile picture is actually you.

Free Rice - feed the world - play for free
National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-7233
National Rape, Sexual Assault Hotline - 1-800-656-4673
Love Is Respect - 1-866-331-9474

~~~ accept everything - Believe Whatever - TRUST NOTHING ~~~~

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Never tell all you know...

Disclaimer: The opinions are my own. Nobody else wants them.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Skinny Bastard
shady character

Re: Live Video Feed of the BP Oil Leak

Post by Skinny Bastard »

This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. What kind of world are we leaving to our children?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

I'm personally boycotting BP and anything British.
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
raum

Post by raum »

now they are convering oil soaked beaches at Grand Isle with fresh sand. I say we plug the hole with bodies of BP employees.

This is a major lesson in clusterfuck.

Analysts downplayed risk to make the deal happen to keep their jobs.
Managers downplayed risk to have room for growth and cut costs to show potential.
Exceutives got memos that worst case scenario was 20,000 gallons could be lost in a spill. Or as little as 5.
They got Lousiana to agree to a deal with alot more safeguards, and alot less risk. DAMN ALL GREED.

The fuzziness of corporate projections has gotten WAY out of hand, and mark my word this will take over 1.5 trillion dollars to even be close to ready for deep clean-up. and no one will go to jail. I refuse to believe this was not part of something intentional. There is no risk for anyone who dares this kind of business, and there needs to be.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Supposedly today they stopped it. That's good news. About damned time.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
raum

Post by raum »

According to the US Clean Water Act, their total fines are $1,100 and they profited 1.39 per share on stock....

That is obscene.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Wait...That's...1.1 Billion...Not thousand, right..?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
raum

Post by raum »

no - ELEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS is the weighable fine on this mess.

Your government regulation at work!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

raum wrote:no - ELEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS is the weighable fine on this mess.

Your government regulation at work!
That's because billions were set aside to pay for the businesses that suffered because of the spill. I would rather BP pay out to them than the government.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
raum

Post by raum »

See, here is where people outside of Louisiana are never gonna get this. The damage is to people's LIVELYHOODS not just to businesses. I would estimate of all the say, 300+ families I know in Louisiana, including my own, less than 20 make money from the gulf seafood. Most SAVE money by having readily available food supplies. We don't see what we catch, WE EAT IT. This land's sustainability is much higher than most people can even imagine.

That is changing big time. It is not an impact on business, it is an impact on the dinner table. Let me give you a story.

My sister has two children, one a special needs child who is bright, but is going to spend his life in a wheelchair because his legs are malformed. She eats out the gulf. She works for pennies on the dollar, but for her education level of her and her husband, and because our family is so tight with lots of others, they get by pretty well. Her husband works the boats and what he can, but he puts food on the table, usually from what he catches or hunts. Simple folk living simply.

So my sister this last week was taking the kids with her to the grocery store they can't afford to buy food they can't afford because they usually eat what they catch and hunt... and fishing ain't too good right now. Her husband is out of work because the boats ain't running, and not too many off shore jobs either. They are living off a garden and 50 bucks a week, and family charity. They are barely staying afloat. The thing is, she was on her way to the groccery store, and she got pulled over by a cop who noticed her car was acting funny and saw smoke. She had no idea that her husband had not been paying car insurance because he didn't have the money. She also had less than one one beer, and they took her to get tested.

So they pull her car, put her in jail waiting for the test, caring for her kids calling my mom. My sister was not drunk, she had been cooking hushpuppies with a beer batter and drank what was left of a beer. Her BAC was not even close to being dangerous, but she was driving without insurance. So she lost the car, got a court date, and still never got food in her kids' stomachs until my mom came and got them. And child services is gonna come check on them.

My sister might lose her kids because they can't fish for supper like we have done for over 175 years of my family's past.

BP owes trillions, these stories are all over the place. People who don't live off the land just don't get it. Businesses are not the only ones affected.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links