NBA Playoffs

Discuss your favorite athlete, talk about current sporting news, physical fitness, martial arts, and anything else related to athletics here.
Drew

NBA Playoffs

Post by Drew »

So, we're a bit late, but WHO YA GOT?!

As a completely biased Lakers fan, I gotta say, I'm liking the way our team looks (despite the fact that we've dropped two games already). When Bynum gets it going, I don't think there's any team out there that can contest with the big 3 of Kobe, Pau, and Bynum. Unfortunately, he seems to struggle with his maturity a lot and doesn't bring it every game.

I am worried about the Thunder, as they looked like the best team by FAR at numerous points during the season. No matter how well they do, I can't ever be concerned about the Spurs. And of course, the Heat are looking great right now. If I were to pick objectively, as of right now I'd have the Thunder over the Heat in 6. Subjectively, I got the Lakers over Boston in 5! haha.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Re: NBA Playoffs

Post by AYHJA »

As well you should be, KD35 is a scary mofo man...I've never seen a dude so comfortable taking 3's from halfcourt, and then when you realize you've got to account for Westbrook, #thashicray...

I like the Lakers too, I bout lost it when I saw Kobe going nuts the other night in the loss, but Bynum is just too much of a hassle...I don't like the emotional gameplay...Block shots, rebound...HUSTLE...Whatever happened to hustling..? Shit, isn't that what McGee did to him the other night..? They don't call plays for him, he hustled and got that double double... There's a lesson to be learned in there...

I don't think I care about the east now that D. Rose is out...I don't think anyone can beat the Heat, and depending on who comes out of the West, they may not be able to beat the Heat either...Would love to see Kobe vs LeBron for the crown for what its worth though...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Don't know how many of you are watching this, but this has been some great basketball this year...Congrats to the #1 Longhorn Kevin Durant for leading the Thunder to their first NBA Finals appearance...

23 years old man, that's some scary shit to NBA GMs all over the league...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

I'm very happy for the Thunder, although just imagine the following they would have if they had stayed in Seattle. My overall enthusiasm tends to go as the Suns do, though.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

As disappointing as it was to see the Lakers lose, I'm pretty stoked about the finals matchup we have (and I'm sticking with my original prediction of Thunder over Heat in 6)

The implications are awesome here. We have (not really even arguably at this point) the two best players in the league WHO BOTH PLAY THE SAME POSITION going against each other in the finals, each vying for their FIRST championship.

We're looking to crown one of the best players in the league (this is also a compelling MVP v. Scoring Champion matchup) for the first time, and inevitably change both players legacies forever. This season will forever be remembered for either KD or LBJ's first championship, followed second by the season that all of America turned on D Howard haha.

I have a lot of money on it being the Thunder (most bets are of the West wins variety, even before the finals matchup was set, the rest being a "Heat will lose" variety) so that's who I'm rooting for. And I wouldn't mind to keep the streak of "the only team to beat the Lakers is the one who won it all" alive. At least it gives me some condolence haha.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I'm pulling for the Longhorn, obviously, but I feel a bit bad for LeBron...If the Thunder win, LeBron will be the ringless king for sure...Not to mention that they escaped the Bulls this year, they're only going to get better...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

Sighs...please table that Bulls shit. Aside from the fact that you hate to ever see a player go down with a serious injury, I was a bit disappointed to see him go down for the additional reason that now Bulls fans had an excuse for their not-championship-level-team not winning this year.

That team, as constructed, just isn't good enough to win it all. Regular season success and playoff success are entirely different, (see the Cavs for years and years). That Bulls team probably would have lost to the C's anyway, and they DEF would have lost to the Heat. If, by some miracle they got to the finals, OKC is whippin that ass too.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

There are very few consistent things about any team in the East, I'll give you that...But the Bulls are not mysteriously ending up with the best record in basketball consistently if they can't play...They give everyone matchup troubles, they are well coached and athletic as any team they'd be facing...Not good enough to win it all, but they could certainly do more than compete in the east...Some of the best playoff series in recent memory have featured these Bulls...And with all the drama this year, what team can you definitively say could beat them soundly..?

They split the season series with the Heat and beat the C's in their season series...So, yeah....

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Drew

Post by Drew »

You know damn well the regular season is an entirely different animal than the playoffs, ESP in this shortened season where teams barely had time to practice. What the games this season amounted to was a batch of pick up games in different cities night after night. No practice time, barely any prep time. In that state, the teams with the best chemistry and coaching outclassed the rest of the league (which is why the Bulls were able to take the top spot despite playing without Rose, and the Spurs were able to conquer the rest of the West despite not playing their starters a whole ton).

But the playoffs..? That's when we get to see all the preparation, and teams can prepare to take away options. You say these Bulls cause matchup problems? For who? Based on what? They have an OUTSTANDING PG in D-Rose. A very, very solid 3 in Deng....and not really much else as far as matchup problems go. Yes they play great together, they are very well coached, and they play incredible defense. But, assuming that Rondo/LBJ/Westbrook are sticking Rose...they'd at least play him to a draw, right? Them and the Celtics have probably the most compelling match up, as semi-evidenced by the incredible series they played a few years ago, and I can see that series going either way. But the Heat? We saw what happened last season when they threw LBJ on Rose and the whole team collapsed without him being able to do whatever he wants (which is still their offense, in my viewings of it). And they have no one to stop Wade or LBJ. I just never, ever see the two teams, as constructed, playing a 7-game series where the Bulls win. Same for the Thunder, assuming Westbrook and Rose is a wash (and really, there's mounting evidence that that would be the case) who's gonna stop KD and Harden?

I don't think the Bulls have that type of player (beyond Rose) who puts the fear into an opponent, or is a sure 2 points. And in the playoffs, where teams will have plans for Rose....the rest of the team will really have to step up, and I just don't think they have the players, particularly on the perimeter to do it.

Absent any crazy roster changes (and with the way the Bulls are constantly in these trade talks, that seems as likely as ever), we'll probably never know for sure given that Rose will probably miss most of next season as well, but I guess only the future will tell.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Drew wrote:Yes they play great together, they are very well coached, and they play incredible defense.
Ding..! Shit man, these things are what might count in a short season..! Man, if the Pacers can push the Heat to 6 games, to think that the Bulls couldn't have at least done that is a shame...

Nobody can stop Durant, that much is a given...But my goodness Harden, his beard, and Westbrook are still bricking shots down in Miami even as I type this...The Bulls play hard...They play consistent...And they didn't completely collapse when D. Rose went down...That's the sign of a good team...I like their chances next year...

I hated this season but couldn't stop watching it...Bring on the gridiron...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links