Height: 5 ' 7 "
Weight: 255
Ethnicity: White/ Caucasion
Religion: Protestant
Sign: Scorpio/Sagittarius

Freestyle

Likes: Being Helpful, Talking to people about my disability,

Dislikes: People telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about

Unless I told you, you would never know that I: have a birth defect (Cerebral Palsy)

Favorite Quote: "The reckless ambitions of man are often dwarfed by their dangerous consequences."[/i]
[hr:41539efa74]

Self Peception:

Positive: Modest, Helpful to a fault, likes to be with people

Negative: Wished I had better looks

Assumed Perception: People stare at me like I'm a freak at a circus and try to avoid me.

Questions and Answers

1. Do you tend to make decisions using your intuition and/or feelings or do you tend to use your knowledge and/or intelligence? Would you change that if you could?

I use my intuition to gauge how people will react towards me. I would change that to just being myself

2. Do you judge yourself more harshly than you judge others?

Yes I do judge myself harshly because if I do something wrong, I have a guilt trip until I corrected that mistake.

3. Is the praise of others more important than your own sense of compentence?

I think you have to earn the praise of others and I think that it comes if you show people your competant

Rate Questions

(Not good at all - Not so good - Average - Pretty Good - Exceptional)

How would you rate your ability to communicate and keep a conversation going..?
Pretty Good

How would you rate your ability to flow, despite a lack of knowledge on a subject..?
Average

If you lack understanding or knowledge, are you willing to learn about something..?
Exceptional
MARK ALLEN PORTWOOD!!

"I'M SWEET, BUT FUCK WITH ME AND I'LL MOP THE FLOOR WITH YOU" - SHIRLEY MANSON

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Fellow AF Member based on your experience in the forums, rate BFG9000..!

How would you rate BGF9000 when it comes to:

His ability to communicate and keep a conversation going..?
Pretty Good..! BFG has an EXCELLENT sense of humor...It is not uncommon for me to read one of his quips and literally laugh out loud...

His ability to flow, despite a lack of knowledge on a subject..?
I'm going to say average on this one...Everytime I read one of BFG's posts, he is very informed or passionate about it...Shirly Manson or Godzilla..? His news articles...All very well spoken...I believe that if there is a topic he doesn't know much about, more often than not, he may just skip over it...But, the average rating, because I recall more than a few threads that were centered around questions, and may or may not have been well recieved...But they were asked, and that counts...

His willingness to learn about a subject he has little to no knowledge of..?
Exceptional...

BFG goes out of his way to do things just right, and I like that...I do believe that this was his first forum, and he hasn't once not followed the rules, or learned to do something properly...That is an excellent trait...He would rather be sure something is right, and well done...He has pride in the things he does, and it shows in his questions...

Is there anything you would like to add about your feelings or dealings with BFG9000 that other members might want to know..?

I've known this lad for a very long time...He came over from one of my Yahoo Groups and joined the forums under the name "Disabled"...He was (and is) one of the wittiest, most polite, and genuinely good people that I know...And too, he's not afraid to tell it like it is...If you are out of line, and BFG has called you on it, you will read about it iin the flame section...I love the fact that he loves his Godzilla and his Shirley Manson, and by God, if you're around here enough, you'll love them too...

He is a person that I hold in high regard...I've read tremendous stories about his work with others that have a disability, and it made me so proud as a webmaster I was nearly in tears...The fact that someone would come here to type messages with one hand as he does is a tremendous complement...His character, determination, and funny ass jokes is what makes him am UBER cool man to know...

Mark is a great, great guy whom I hope to be able to share a beer with one day...

After reading his profile, if you could ask BFG9000 a question what would it be..?

How or why don't you change the fact that the way you behave is often reactionary..? Does having a disability, or your self esteem affect how you act more than other people you think..? What is the biggest barrier you think there is from being yourself regardless of what others think..?
ImageImage
Image Image

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
BFG9000
Terminator Mama!

Post by BFG9000 »

Thank you AYHJA,

I found the profile to be very informative and very deep. I left a comment about yours on your profile. I'll get to the others when time permits. BTW, on one chatroom, my handle is: DISABLEDBFG9000_GODZILLA_RODAN. That whole frickin thing!

As for your question, I'll break it down into its parts:
How or why don't you change the fact that the way you behave is often reactionary..? When I was growing up, I would often hear and see people's reactions based upon a sterotype of what they thought a person with a disability was, which was that often they were drooling slobs in wheelchairs rolled out on Labor Day in order to get you to fork over cash to heal the poor idiots.
Does having a disability, or your self esteem affect how you act more than other people you think..? I think its my disability, because when I speak to a person or a group, they're shocked at the fact that I can speak and think as well as I can. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can get the point acrossed when I have to. I use humor as an ice breaker!
What is the biggest barrier you think there is from being yourself regardless of what others think..?
I think the bigesst barrier for me is ignorance of the general public , not only of me, but people that I know. What gets to me is everytime I walk towards a group of people, They're reluctant to talk to me and slowly drift apart like I was Moses and they were the Dead Sea. Or, they'll cower behind someone and push them out to talk to me like they were a human sacrifice.
Last edited by BFG9000 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARK ALLEN PORTWOOD!!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
trashtalkr
Sports Guru

Post by trashtalkr »

Pretty good. I never would have known he had a disability if he hadn't said something on the last site. He writes well and can get his point across really well most of the time. As Ty said, he's got a great sense of humor which always helps.

Average - Pretty Good. I've noticed that he only participates in some of the discussions, which isn't bad, but most of them are the ones he starts about Garbage and that one ugly chick. (sorry man) When he does participate he really gets into it though. He asks great questions and always wants to learn more.

Exceptional. I said that a little above but he never seems to want to be complacent on his beliefs. That's a great quality to have.

Is there anything you would like to add about your feelings or dealings with BFG9000 that other members might want to know..?

Disabled (it's easier to type) seems like an amazing person. I have such respect for him because he doesn't let his disability take the best of him. He works through it and breaks most of the stereotypes of people with disabilities. He really impresses me with all that he's gone through and being able to keep a great sense of humor. I've learned a lot about myself just by listening to what he said about what he's gone through on the old forum. He definately is an amazing person with a lot to offer. I'm so glad that I've gotten to know a little about him here.

After reading his profile, if you could ask BFG9000 a question what would it be..?

Do you ever notice discrimination because of your disability? I don't know about what your work experience is or anything, but have you ever come across a situation that you haven't gotten a job or a house/apartment because of something you cannot control?
"If there were no eternal consciousness in a man, if at the bottom of everything there were only a wild ferment, a power that twisting in dark passions produced everything great or inconsequential; if an unfathomable insatiable emptiness lay hid beneath everything, what would life be but despair?"

Soren Kierkegaard

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
BFG9000
Terminator Mama!

Post by BFG9000 »

Thanks Trash! Here's the answer to your question:

Do you ever notice discrimination because of your disability? I don't know about what your work experience is or anything, but have you ever come across a situation that you haven't gotten a job or a house/apartment because of something you cannot control?

I have seen discrimination in my life, either a victim of it, or done to another person. As for my work experiernce I had three jobs which I have lost because of my disability. All by the way before the age of twenty. I was a Security Guard, a Dishwasher, and I worked in a rehabilitational facility for the mentally disabled.

The first two I had only for one week and the third I had for three months. The last one, my parents were told they would have to pay them $150.00 a week for me to make $25.00.
MARK ALLEN PORTWOOD!!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
deepdiver32073
Iconoclast Extraordinaire

Post by deepdiver32073 »

Pretty good. Excellent if it has anything to do with Shirley Manson or Godzilla. I've always enjoyed BFG/Disabled's posts. I never really thought much about his old "name" until he mentioned it in a post of his way back when. When I found out what dedication it takes for him to make a post, it blew me away. I take for granted the fact that I can type with both hands and can do so fairly quickly. For BFG to do it is inspirational and speaks volumns of what this site must mean to him. Kudos to you BFG and to you AYHJA.

Average - Pretty Good. Though his interests tend to be concentrated on just a few subjects, he is passionate about them and willing to provide background on areas others might not know.

Exceptional. He is very open and willing to look into things he doesn't know or understand and increase his knowledge.

As I mentioned above, I had no idea the nature or the extent of BFG's "challenge". I prefer this term because I spent 15 years of my life working with adults with physical and mental challenges. Not a one that I worked with was "disabled". I know it sounds corny, but they have other abilities that often make up for anything they may lack. Anyway, back to BFG... I didn't realize that he only had the use of one hand and so had to make all his posts one-handed. While some of us have mastered that skill in the Gostosa section, here's a guy who does it for each and every post! That's dedication and determination. That's not letting something get in the way of letting the world know how you feel about something. I salute you BFG! You are an inspiration.

What do you think is the one major thing you have done that transcends your "disability" or your "challenge"? Apart from your cerebral palsy, what makes you 'You"?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
BFG9000
Terminator Mama!

Post by BFG9000 »

Thanks DD for the post! Here's the answer for your question.

What do you think is the one major thing you have done that transcends your "disability" or your "challenge"? Apart from your cerebral palsy, what makes you 'You"?

I think the one thing that trascends my disability is my williness to try anything once. For example, in high school there was a debate whether or not I would take drivers education. The summer before my father took me out and showed me how to drive. When I got to the class, I knew more than the other kids! I took my class in the dead of winter on snow and ice!

What makes me, "ME"? I think its my honesty and humor that makes me what I am. Also I try to aid others whenever I can. That's mostly from my Grandfathers and my Dad. They would stop and get yiou out of trouble if your stuck.
Last edited by BFG9000 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARK ALLEN PORTWOOD!!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Lost Ghost

Post by Lost Ghost »

Pretty Good. Like all the others have said, I find Disabled (Although often horribly corny) to be pretty darn funny at times.

Lets be real...Not good at all.... Granted your Shirley Manson and Godzilla posts are very informative....I rarely see you talk about much else seriously....

Pretty Good. Seem very open to everything

I admire that fact that you haven't let anything hold you down... what you do for a living...your true and geunine passion for people...your humorous touch to everything...and you as a person.

Do you think you use humor as a crutch? If you could, do you think you'd want to have lived your life without a disability...or do you think it has really molded you into the person you are today?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links