[Tutorial] Reget Deluxe 4.2

Tutorials and how-to's.
AYHJA

[Tutorial] Reget Deluxe 4.2

Post by AYHJA »

With the new section especially, having a download manager is a necessity...Downloading with your browser is cool, but if you happen to be downloading a shit load of big files, its a no go...I've been using download managers for years, and the one that does it all in my book is Reget...I even PURCHASED it...So, in support of them, I'll share some tips with you here...There is no one way to do things, but hopefully this will help you get started...When you first install the program, it will take you through a wizard, after you do that, pick up here..!

Basics:

1. If you are using Firefox as we all should be, make sure you have the Flashgot Extension...It will allow Reget to interface with FF, and control your program through it...

http://www.flashgot.net/getit

Once you install it, when you start to download something, you will be given an option to "Flashgot" rather than save with Firefox...Shouldn't be too hard to get config'd, but if you have a question, please ask..!

2. Having multiple harddrives is lovely..! Downloading files can hit your drives pretty hard...But if you don't have one, at LEAST have a dedicated download folder...Once you install Reget, you will be presented with a few default folders...By right clicking on the folders, you can config the properties, which will allow you to download files by type...

So, if you start a bunch of shit at once, movies, pics, CD's, etc, you don't have to worry too much about seperating them...Further than that, you can append directories to the defaults you choose anyway...You can, for example set the download manager properties for pictures, differently than you would for movies...So, if you want to make it so that pics are downloaded 3 at a time, but don't want to try and download 3 big ass .iso's at once, you can...

Example Category Property Screen:

If you're not a power downloader, then many of the minute options you choose you won't care about...there are so many things you can do with the program to tweak it to adjust to your system...If you want to download and still browse comfy, there are options atop the main window that you can set...Just slip into cooperative mode, and you're good to go until you're done browsing...After that, you can kick that baby back into overdrive...

Reget also remembers your downoad history, so if you download something, but loose it, you can always go back and downoad it again, pending the URL hasn't changed...It also has password properties, you can store them for sites that require it...There is a fully customizeable system tray icon, that will let you monitor bandwidth...Tons of things..!

Here are a couple of things you may find useful for here on AF...

The Queue File

Ahh, the beaty of queue files...These are files that you can use to save what Reget is doing and maybe do something else...First, set up your configuration like you want it, before you download anything...

1. File > Save As

And name it something...This is your default queue file, saved just like you want it...Name it default or something...Then, save it again under a different name, and let THAT que be your working queue file...Mine, of course, is named AYHJA...You do this because by defaut, reget automatically saves your queue file...In the even of a crash, you don't want to loose your default options...

Say for example, I am downloading a shitload of pics from suze.net...And have 1,000 or so downloads in the download manager and my pass dies...

FUCK..!

Ahh, but wait...All you have to do is save the queue file with your links in it...And then delete them from your working queue file...So, when you get a working pass again, you can go to File > Import Queue, choose your saved Suze file, and continue about your merry way...When you're done, you can import your working queue file again, or not...It's up to you...

Creating Queue Files from Text Files

So now, we're shaing movies and stuff...But who wants to fucking download links 1 by 1..? Here's what you do...

1. Copy the contents of the download links in the code box into a Notepad file and save it...
2. Open Reget...In the top left hand corner click on File > Import Queue

What you want to do is click the "Files of Type" box, and go to Plain URL List:

3. Finish downloading The Sims 2... /:D" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt=":D" />

Really, there are literally TONS of things you can do, and I can't tell you how to do them all...But if you just go through the program a bit, and ask questions if you need to, I'll be more than happy to help..! Reget does batch downloading and everything man, it's fantastic..!

Hope this helps a bit, as I said, if you have a question man, just ask..!

A
ImageImage
Image Image

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links